Sunday, October 30, 2016

Ironman Kona Swim


I wanted so badly to swim the 2.4 mile World Championship course! I knew my training wasn't there yet as I'm getting back to it and I ran right before. But I felt fantastic out there! I took it nice and easy and just enjoyed every second! I went out with Ashley (@ahappypace) and Ang (@angtris) and it was amazing! We stopped at the Kona Coffee Boat on our way out. And for the first mile it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life! The water was absolutely incredible! It was completely clear to the bottom, an indescribable blue, sunbeams reaching the ocean floor, swimming with gorgeous fish! And I was feeling so strong! I could swim all day! As we got further out the swells were getting bigger and bigger, but I had no problem swimming, I still felt so strong. But nausea started creeping in. And it kept getting stronger and stronger. I was both nauseous and dizzy. And all I kept thinking was how I wanted to do this! I made it to the turn around point and I was feeling bad. We turned around and by the next buoy I was throwing up. I knew if I could get the vomiting and dizziness under control I would have no problem. But it wasn't stopping and I was only getting worse. I spotted a shore and told the girls I had to swim to shore. They didn't want me to go alone, but after the three of us had been alone out there forever, there was a lady who had swam out from her hotel to where we were. Obviously an angel in disguise! She talked me back to shore which was not an easy swim bc of the current and rocks at that point. She was an older lady who was an Ironman and had just done IM Australia and was here to watch her son. At one point she offered for me to grab onto her shoulders so she could bring me in. Bless her and her sweet heart! But I swam in. And after a brief rest, I did what felt like the walk of shame. It was a little over a mile I think, in my swimsuit, barefoot, and looking mighty green down Ali'i Drive among the crowd. I'll never forget that walk. I was so disappointed. I swam 1.9 of 2.4 miles! But I'll always remember how amazing and incredibly beautiful it was out there! And I have to say as awesome as it was out there, I'm super relieved IMTX is a lake swim! 😂 I WILL go back and do that swim!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment