Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Body Composition Analysis

As part of my Ironman training I am focusing on Nutrition and Hydration. I am meeting with a nutritionist at Memorial Hermann Sports Institute Clinic in the Woodlands. Today was my initial evaluation and consultation. It began with a BOD POD Body Composition Tracking System Analysis. You wear as little as possible (I wore my swimsuit.) and you sit for a total of about 5 minutes in this pod. There is no discomfort or loud noises. It's very comfortable. You just experience very small changes in pressure.
I was concerned going in that I would be a little disappointed with the results given the way I have been feeling. And boy was I surprised! And way more than a little disappointed! My body fat percentage is almost 35%!!! That's a pretty hard pill to swallow!
And this puts me in the Excess Fat category! An even harder pill to swallow! I work out 6 days a week between 1 and 2 1/2 hours and I eat pretty well. In fact I'm usually at a calorie deficit. 

So we took this information, looked at my daily intake, and are making a few changes to enhance my training. And hopefully I will start burning some of this fat and start building some muscle! His goal is to get me down to 30%, but 20% is ideal. I am sure he is aiming for a practical and achievable goal. I am trying not to focus on the Red Line saying EXCESS FAT and just work on what I need to work on, but wow what an eye opener!
At first I was in shock, and then I laughed, and then there were some tears. Now I've got a plan and I am going to work hard!


1 comment:

  1. I just don't believe this. You are one of the fittest people I know. I'm happy you're taking a look at your nutrition and implementing some changes bc I've been telling you for a while that you aren't eating enough for your training! I would take this with a grain of salt because you stare in the mirror and see that you are NOT fat! In fact, you are one of the thinnest people I know. I'd love to see you gain some muscle and I'd love to see you do a different test, as well. You are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete