Sunday, April 17, 2016

Ironman 70.3 Texas Swim

I didn't sleep much at all the night before, and when I did I had dreams my alarm didn't go off, I didn't get the hotel wake up call, I was running slowly thru thick sand to get to transition to set up, transition closed before I got there, etc... Since I was awake getting up wasn't too hard. I had to force myself to eat a bowl of oatmeal. Despite my dreams that prevented me from getting to transition I had no problems getting there. I set up and I was ready. Except I wasn't. I was teary and shaky. A million questions were going thru my mind. What am I doing here? Why am I doing this? What am I trying to prove? I am not even good at this! What if I get hurt? What if I fall? What if I fail?!?!
I was waiting for my family to show up for  one last hug and kiss before heading to the swim start. They are my rock, my motivation, my inspiration and I wouldn't be here without them!
When I got to the dock with my swim wave and got ready to jump in, an overwhelming sense of peace and calm washed over me. I don't know how or why but the only explanation I can come up with to explain it is a little help from the man upstairs and for that I am so grateful! When I jumped off that dock I had no fear.

I was so happy getting out of the swim! And I was so excited to catch a glimpse of my family as I exited the water!!

The swim was my favorite part! I never would have guessed but I loved it!! I did lose time waiting for everyone to go ahead before I started so I lowered the risk of hurting my elbow. And then with the young fierce guys they started after my AG I had to deal with some really aggressive swimmers. But despite that I had no anxiety. I felt calm and strong from start to finish. I came out confident and excited! This was exactly what I needed to get on the bike! 


This was my fastest and strongest swim yet! My pace was 2:40/100 yards. As good as I felt out there I expected it to be a little faster. I am sure giving everyone a big head start hurt my time. But I loved it and that I will take any day!!



1 comment:

  1. How do you make a wet suit look so good?! So awesome to have a good swim! The open water stuff seems so intense.

    ReplyDelete