Monday, March 28, 2016

Galveston Rehearsal

 

After a sleepless night due to worrying about over sleeping, I got up at 4 am and got ready and ate some oatmeal before heading out to Galveston. We were to meet for wheels down at 7:00. I got there shortly after 6:00. Tried to get a little more sleep in the car but it wasn't happening.

I bumped into a fellow Zoot athlete Mitchell Jeffcoat who recognized me. That was really cool. And then I met up with The Robert D and Suchosoft my IG friends also known as Robert and Susan. So excited to meet them out there!

We started our ride about 7:15. Right off the bat I fell behind. I ended up hitting every red light out there! At least it was good practice for clipping and unclipping. When I was moving I was flying (for me)! I was averaging 19mph. And I was thrilled! All I could think for the first 28 miles was how I couldn't wait to tell my coach and hubby how fast I was! The only surprise during the first half, besides my amazing speed, was after the San Luis Overpass there was a really bad rough patch of road. Other than that I was unstoppable!

That is until I turned around and headed straight into the wind!! My 19mph quickly turned into 13 mph! Going back up the San Luis pass I was riding like 8mph!! I guess the saying if it's too good to be true it probably is played out true on this day! I did contemplate just heading to lay on the beach instead! But I of course did not give up! I fought that wind and then some difficult traffic areas on my way back. My overall average speed ended up being 15.5mph. Ugh still slow!!

My friends who probably finished a good 20 minutes ahead of me waited for me. Susan had done her run already and Robert finished up his last mile with me. I ran 5 miles at an 8:40 pace. It was tough and I can't imagine I'll be able to maintain that speed for 13.1 miles off the bike come race day. It would be great if I could manage 9:00, but there is no telling what the conditions will be like. Endurance training sure has made me slower!

Robert, Susan, and I headed out to try to swim but we couldn't find a good place to do it, so I headed back to my gym. I swam 2000 yards at an avg 2:13 pace.

I felt really accomplished doing all three disciplines in one day. While the bike wasn't what I'd been hoping for, I feel confident going into this race. I feel my training has me well prepared. I have put in the work and I am ready! I just hope I am equipped for any unknowns race day may throw my way.

I had a time goal, and I think I should get close, but I may not make it. And that is ok. I really want to focus on finishing and having fun! I wish I could throw all the numbers out of my head and just rock it, but that is not me. So I will try to push the numbers into the back of my mind and just do my very best, smile, and enjoy every moment!
Robert and I sporting our TriTats hats on our run
Susan and I

1 comment: