Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Bike Thru the Forest and Hills

On January 23, 2016, Bike Thru the Forest and Hills was the first supported group ride I have ever been on. I really like the feeling of being secure on the course. I like knowing there are police out there maintaining a safe course and I like knowing there are SAG vehicles in case something goes wrong with my bike. I also have a terrible sense of direction. So a marked course is an extra bonus so I don't have to worry about getting lost along the way.
 
We headed north out to Coldspring, Texas. And as I got closer and the hills got bigger I was wondering what I was getting myself into! Lol! The name of the ride should have given me clue! When we arrived it was 28 degrees outside. So cold! Fortunately I had friends who had prepared me by telling me all the gear I would need to stay warm! It was a lifesaver because the cold never bothered me! However the hills are another story! It was the most challenging work out ever! And it didn't help that I never changed gears and rode my breaks down every hill! At the end there were people getting off and walking their bikes. Not me! I trudged up and down those hills in the wrong gear at 4 mph! Lord help me! Ha! It took me 3:18:36 at 14.2 mph. Slower than a turtle but I survived all 1926 feet of that elevation gain/loss!!
 
And how fun is it that my new Instagram friend Susan came out to ride with me! Ok not with me but far, far ahead of me. Lol! But we started together and met up after for a bite to eat! She is also training for IM 70.3 Texas at Galveston. I am so excited about our new found friendship!

 

 

1 comment:

  1. What a crazy, challenging workout! So proud of you for getting out of your comfort zone! And making new friends!

    ReplyDelete